If not for the quick thinking and first aid training of a server, Rachel Brien is not sure if she was still alive today.
Rapid action to save a life
She was out on a dinner at Ricky’s Country Restaurant on Marshall Road with her 20-year old son. She ordered a breakfast meal for dinner – eggs, toast and bacon. While halfway through the meal, Brien took a bite of toast and started to choke.
It was a scary ordeal because she could not breathe. Her son yelled out for help. Brien was about to pass out, she stood up out of her booth to gain attention. In an instant, her server, Jordan Ketting-Olivier was behind her. He told her that he had first aid training and asked if she can cough it out but she could not. He proceeded to deliver a blow on her back but she continued to choke. He wrapped his arms around Brien, just beneath the rib cage and performed the Heimlich maneuver. This life-saving measure was successful in driving the food out.
According to Olivier, he was working at Ricky’s for almost 8 years, but a similar incident occurred 4 months before where he assisted another woman who choked on her food. He recently renewed his first aid certification the day before since he is currently applying to the Abbotsford Police Department.
For more information about this story, click here.
The information posted on this page is for learning and educational purposes only. While every effort is made to post only the most accurate available information, we do not guarantee that the information posted is always current. We do not warrant or make any representations as to the content, accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links and other items contained on its web pages. We make no warranties, expressed or implied as to the fitness of the information for any purpose, or to results obtained by individuals using the information and is not responsible for any action taken in reliance on the information contained herein.