Offers basic first aid and safety skills for youth 9-13 years old.
Participants learn about being safe when they are without the direct supervision of a parent, guardian, or trusted adult, both at home and in their communities.
Real-world scenarios often call on children to respond to challenges. The Stay Safe! program teaches applicable and age-appropriate skills, while increasing and reinforcing a youth’s capacity to improve his or her own safety.
1. Importance of responsibility and respect while being accountable for yourself
2. Importance of setting and following rules around safety when staying on your own
3. How to stay safe at home and within the community
4. How to prepare, recognize and respond to unexpected situations, (i.e. inclement weather, strangers, unanticipated visits)
5. First Aid Content: Check, Call, Care (includes phoning EMS/911), recovery position, conscious choking (adult/child/alone), feeling unwell, asthma (includes use of inhaler and spacer), anaphylaxis (includes use of EpiPen), poisoning, insect stings, wound care (i.e. minor cuts and scrapes, splinters, nosebleeds, bumps and bruises, life-threatening bleeding, burns)